RE: Who authorizes loans to other institutions

Here at the Albright-Knox, it is the Art Committee, a sub-committee of the Board of Directors, that approves loans based on the recommendation (in writing) of the Director, Curator and Registrar.  The Registrar first handles the request, noting whether the object has been promised for another exhibition or if it traveled recently.  She also notes whether the object has conservation issues or is on a list of objects to be conserved.  The Curator assesses the scholarly importance of the exhibition and whether the project merits us depriving our visitors of the object for 3-12 months (depending on the length of the exhibition and its tour).  The Curator and Director also comment on our history or relationship with the institution and individuals involved as a factor in determining whether to agree to a loan or reject it.  The Board generally agrees with the general recommendation made.  The Director's recommendation outweighs the Curator's recommendation if the two are not the same.

I hope this helps.  Ken Wayne

Dr. Kenneth Wayne, Curator
Albright-Knox Art Gallery
1285 Elmwood Avenue