I found this information in a little book I have "Confederate Camp Cooking" .  I hope it is helpful.

    Cush I
Fry bits of meat in a skillet. Add water. Thicken with curmbled bread.

    Cush II
To fried, crumbled bacon bits or bacon drippings, add cubed, leftover cooked beef(abouy 1/4# beef).  Add 4 minced garlic cloves.  Saute.  Stir in about 1 1/2 cups water.  Bring to a boil,stirring frequently.  Stir in 1/2 cup cornmeal and salt to taste.  Cook, stirring often, until thickened.

    Cush III
1/4 cup butter, bacon drippings or combination thereof
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1 cup biscuit crumbs
2 cups corn bread crumbs
1 tsp. ground sage
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 eggs, beaten
Milk
    Using a heavy shillet, saute the onion in the fat.  Add crumbs and seasonings and lightly brown the crumbs.  Stir in the eggs and sufficient mil to make a thick, mush-like mixture.
    Cover and cook over a low flame until firm.  Serve hot.
   [or set the skillet in a preheated 350 F. oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes]

Margaret M. Gilbert
Stillwater Guards [president]
http://home.earthlink.net/~rat_nana
4th U.S. Medical Corps. [head nurse]
http://privateanthony.homestead.com/4thmed.html
U.S.C.C. [delegate]
http://www.uscc.dreamwater.org

As members of the Medical service we treat
any wounded soldier, regardless of rank or
uniform.