Subject:  Archaeologists Needed for Disaster Work
Date:  Sun, 16 Sep 2001 19:16:56 -0400
From:  Charles Bello <[log in to unmask]>
To:  [log in to unmask]

Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2001 3:37 PMSubject: Archaeologists Needed for Disaster Work
 Dear Friends

 After hearing of disaster workers in lower Manhattan combing through
buckets of debris by hand  Dr. Sophia Perdikaris has contacted the FBI
Evidence Recovery Center at the World Trade Center bombing site and offered the help of archaeologically-trained sieving teams to speed the work. The FBI is very interested in getting our help, and has asked Dr. Perdikaris to organize teams.

  We need :

1) Any sieves(screens) already constructed (any mesh size) and any hardware or parts you may have on hand. If you have a College or other carpentry shop capable of producing sieves rapidly this would be good news.

2) Experienced archaeologists capable of supervising work groups.

If you have gear or want to volunteer time and labor, please contact:

Sophia Perdikaris (Anthropology/Archaeology Dept Brooklyn College CUNY)

mobile phone # 718 951 4607
[log in to unmask]">email:[log in to unmask]

NB: DO NOT just show up- call Sophia so we can coordinate with the FBI

Before you call, determine if you have:

1) transport for the sieves to lower Manhattan, licence # of vehicle.

2) can you bring : hard hat, respirator, goggles, work gloves, heavy boots
or will you need one or more of these items supplied?

MANY THANKS! Please spread this message to anyone in the region you think
might be able to help.

Best wishes
Tom

Thomas H. McGovern, Prof.
Bioarchaeology Laboratory
Anthropology Department
Hunter College of the City University of New York
695 Park Ave. NYC 10021 USA

tel: 212 772 5410
fax: 212 772 5423