Jennifer Widman <[log in to unmask]>

>>>Registration is a career in and of itself - it is not a stepping-stone to
being a curator and registrars are not curatorial assistants.  Many
museum professionals have worked as registrars and curators and directors
(and probably a number of other positions, too), but the move from
registrar to curator should be viewed as a lateral shift.  The
registration field is just as competitive as the curatorial field and
getting a job as a registrar is just as difficult as getting a job as a
curator - if someone is just starting out and wants to be a curator, they
should take your advice and try for a curatorial assistant position, just
as they should try for a registration assistant position if they want a
job as a registrar.  Believe me, there's nothing "small" about the
registrar's job!

Thanks for the correction. This came up the first time I posted it and I had forgotten about it. I just cut and pasted it from the archived post. I'll make another version with changes.

Deb

========================================================Important Subscriber Information: The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes). If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes).