We are in the very early (several years away) stages of planning a collections move from storage in an historic house to a to-be-renovated facility (completely renovated adaptive reuse of a power plant). We have about 35-40,000 objects, including textiles, china, art, furniture, silver and industrial equipment; the pieces vary in age from 400 to 2 years old.  Current storage conditions are not ideal, as the storage areas are cooled with unit air conditioners, and we have to use dehumidifiers in the summer, and humidifiers in the winter.

My question is: What kind of acclimatization period have people used in this kind of move? I know it will vary depending upon object type, but are there some rules of thumb?

I've searched the Museum-L archives, AIC, NEDCC and NPS Conserve O Grams with little luck, so any leads would be gratefully received.

Thanks very much--
Kirsten Hammerstrom
Curator
Rhode Island Historical Society