Hello,

I am trying to determine whether a museum studies program, offered without
academic credit, would be worth the expense. Has anyone heard about this
program at Northwestern University?
http://www.scs.northwestern.edu/pdp/museum/

This non-degree, non-certificate,"professional development" program includes
three 10-week courses and an internship. Cost is $1,000 per course plus $500
for the internship. This is a bargain compared to the graduate programs I
have looked at, but am I better off going straight to the MA/PhD
programs--are those the only ones that hold any weight with museum employers?

Note that I would not be able to re-locate for school due to my husband's
job, so I am limited to schools in the Chicago area. I am planning to apply
for next year.

Some background info: I have a BA in advertising from Univ of Illinois
Urbana-Champaign. I have work experience in marketing, PR, and advertising. I
have some museum volunteer experience (accessioning and collections mgt. at a
small historical museum (learned PastPerfect), researched and wrote label
text for items on display in the resource center of U of I's art museum), and
I currently have an internship at a small historical museum in N. Indiana.

Thanks for your help,
Eileen