Hi Rick,

You didn't mention whether you're in high school or college,
but I hope that my reply may be of some help either way.
You'll probably get other replies with a lot of good suggestions,
so I think you'll find something useful in what we suggest.
The first thing I thought of is to try to get some internships
when they become available.  Some internships are paid, and
some aren't, but they all seem to be good experience.
At least that's the impression I've gotten from what I've seen
advertised and from talking to people who have been interns --
I've never had been an intern anywhere.  However, I have
been a volunteer in several museums and historical societies,
and that's the second thing I'd suggest -- volunteer
whereever you can.  If there's only one place near you that
you want to volunteer at, that's ok, especially if you can get
the kind of opportunities you want to get experience in.  Don't
be afraid to volunteer in more than one place, though (even at
the same time).  Also, don't turn down chances to volunteer
in activities that don't seem to be related to what you're interested
in doing.  By gaining experience in a lot of different areas,
it will be that much easier to get your first museum job.
Even if the first job you get as a result of internships and
volunteering isn't the kind of work you're interested in, you'll
at least get your foot in the door of a museum as a paid
employee.  Once you've gotten your foot in the door, you
can use that job (and its experience) to help your chances
of getting the kind of job you want.

Steve Shisler

In a message dated 08/27/2001 5:17:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,