Just wanted to thank all who have responded to my query about good collections-related websites. I have a list that will keep me surfing for days and days!

Since several other list members expressed interest in this thread and I received several suggestions off-list, I thought I would post them to the list. They are:

Emory's Carlos Museum

If you want to prowl around on your own, you might try www.museumspot.com.
>Also, even if you are most interested in art museums, you might take a
>look at some other kinds of Web sites. For instance, the New York Public
>Library has a very educational site. Zoos seem to have good interactive
>Web sites. Good luck.

for the compleatly low tech aproach try our site

>http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/nhcorg6.htm

As an alternative to custom websites, you might want to look at our Insight
>software starting with the David Rumsey cartography collection.  Insight has
>two clients, a Java client that requires a client download, and a web
>browser client that you access through a standard browser window.  The Java
>client has the most functionality including a presentation feature which is
>used at Yale and Cornell for teaching.  Both clients give superior access to
>images for researchers.
>
>The link to our website will take you to the David Rumsey collection.
>www.LunaImaging.com
please have a look at our website for the
Guimet museum in Paris at www.museeguimet.fr.

Thanks again.
Margaret Bullock