b-b guns are futile and violent, and the squirrels *will* come back...i had this problem once in a house i used to live in, built ca. 1900.  we had squirrels that were eventually ousted by a family of raccoons; both chewed gigantic holes in the wooden eaves and parts of the roof...we tried traps, but that didn't deter the squirrels in the long run and it's pretty morbid (and not at all humane) to have animals dangling off the sides of the house.

one option (and it depends on how comfortable you are with this) is to use urine as a deterrent.  believe it or not, wolf urine is sold in some nurseries for this purpose.

~liz~