From: [log in to unmask]>Lori Tomlinson
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2001 6:28 PM
Subject: Collections Dilemma

Hello all.

I am seeking your advice.  I am the director of a small history/natural
history museum.  I have finally convinced my board that we need to make our
collections management a top priority.  The collections have been neglected
for years... improperly accessioned (or not accessioned at all), improperly
stored, many items having no relation to our mission.  Most are kept in
off-site in two storage units, for which we pay monthly rent.

I have been approached by an emerging non-profit organization (historical
exhibit producers; official non profit status is pending) to take the bulk of
the non-related items from us as a donation.  In turn, they will donate the
items to other organizations, trade for other artifacts, or sell outright to
anyone willing to buy.  I am afraid that this organization will not follow
AAM standards in all their transactions (such as using the proceeds from
artifact sales to purchase more artifacts, or to care for their current
collections).  Knowing this, do we take the easy way out, saving countless
hours trying to find takers for the items ourselves, or take the time to
distribute items ourselves, making every possible effort to ensure as many
items as possible are kept in the public trust?  Note that we have a small
staff (4) and that much of the work to distribute artifacts would fall to
myself and any board members I can get to help.  Also, we are working toward
AAM accreditation in the next 4 - 5 years.

A Frazzled Director