Hello all -

First, a brief word of introduction:

I am a graduate student at South Dakota State University in Brookings, South Dakota, currently researching my thesis topic which concerns the influence of Beatrice Cenci in American literature.

Cenci was an Italian noble woman who, along with her mother and brother, allegedly hired killers to murder her violent and abusive father in the 1590's.  In 1599 Beatrice was publicaly beheaded in Rome.  Her mother and brother were executed as well.

My question for you is in regards to a painting, originally attributed to Guido Reni, that was thought to be of "poor Beatrice."  One legend that I came across states that some years after Beatrice's death, this mysterious painting surfaced and someone identified the subject as "that poor Cenci girl."  The name stuck.  A copy of this painting is at http://www.artepadova.com/eventi/Guercino/Guercino_2.htm .

My initial research has revealed that art scholars have proven that Reni was not the artist who painted the portrait, but I have been unable to discern whether anyone has made any further discoveries/guesses as to who might have painted the portrait or who the subject of the portrait might be.  I would appreciate any help any of you might be able to offer me.

My second question is for those of you familiar with the "Cenci portrait."  Recently I ran across a copy of Johannes Vermeer's portrait Girl With a Pearl Earring, and I found a striking similarity with the girl in the "Cenci portrait."  I am wondering if anyone else has seen this similarity.  You can view Girl With a Pearl Earring at: http://www.mystudios.com/vermeer/12/vermeer-girl-pearl-earring.html .

The research that I have done on Beatrice thus far has been hit and miss.  I have found few resources that corroborate.  It seems as if every author or researcher has a different version of the legend and a different story about the painting.  I believe the painting is now housed in the National Gallery of Art in Rome, but not all of my sources agree on even that point!  I would greatly appreciate any guidance any of you might be able to offer me.  Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Sincerely,
Amy Einspahr