From: [log in to unmask]>Feltus, Pamela
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2001 2:30 PM
Subject: Rights question

We have alot of photographs from private collections (like family
scrapbooks) which over the past 40 years have been given to the museum.

Now, for all my years in this field I have never had a problem taking a
photo like these from the collection and using it in an exhibit, catalogue
or marketing materials. We have a new archivist who is saying that if people
did not sign a form releasing copyright when they donated, we can not use
it. Is this true? I know it would be if we had government photos or
something that is specifically copyrighted, but is a family picture of
grandpa that the family (or grandpa) donated to a museum?

Thanks!

Pamela Feltus
Curator
National Museum of American Jewish Military History
1811 R Street NW, Washington DC 20009
202-265-6280 x201

www.nmajmh.org