DeAnne:

We (Oregon Heritage Commission) get the figures (local visitors, non-local
Oregon visitors, non-Oregon visitors) for Oregon from surveys completed by over
100 of the approximately 300 museums in Oregon.  The figures are
approximate because not all reporting museums collect the information in that
way, and some only provide estimates.  You can find a summary of the 1999
and 2000 figures on our web site at http://www.oregonheritage.org .
If  you need more detailed information, e-mail me at [log in to unmask] .

Regarding defending tax exempt status, the Coos Bay (Oregon) Art Museum
faced a situation last year in which the Coos County Assessor tried to levy tax
on the museum because of its role in the tourism industry.  The situation
was solved by an amendment to state law that exempted non-profit and public art
museums from taxation.  E-mail me at [log in to unmask]  and I can
put you in contact with people more familiar with the situation.

Hope this is of some help.

Bill Hanable