In one of my earlier lives I covered for a person who was responsible for special events in an art museum. More recently I was the director of an historic house museum where wedding ceremonies were allowed in the house.  In both places it was the policy that nothing be moved, except for two chairs that we always moved in the historic house.  Especially in the art museum collection pieces were not moved at the request of the renter, and there was language to that effect in the contract.   All of those decisions were curatorial.  Renters were responsible for the behavior of their guests - and for any damage to collection objects.