Dear Listers --

I am SO sorry.

Over the course of the last couple of weeks I went through a barrage of assaults from viruses and sneakthieves on the internet.  In removing programs that had inserted themselves onto my computer, NAV and McAfee both were inadvertently removed.

It is possible that an attachment I received from this list in reference to my response to the WWI helmet query was the kak-worm that caused such havoc.  It is possible that despite my vigilance about unfamiliar attachments, it came from somewhere else.

At any rate, I removed 4 viruses and 1 trojan and it took about 6 hours.  For those of you who sent me expressions of hostility, I am sorry to have put you through it, but I never intended to be the vector of such harm.  For those of you who sent warnings and anti-virus advice, thank you very very much.

And IndigoNights -- a special thanks for your expressions of support and belief that it was all a horrible accident.

Again, my apologies to one and all.

Ellen B. Cutler
Aberdeen, MD