Overall, I find Ms. Pearman's analysis to be fair from the point of view of copyright holders.  I would like to mention however, that her text on the four standards of fair use is not taken straight from the text of the four standards in the copyright statute.  Rather, her text it is partially taken from the law and also contains interpretations.  The actual clauses are more vague and open to constant debate.  For example, you can just imagine how different people might define "teaching" and "scholarship".

Below is the exact text.  For more on the 1976 copyright act and other copyright laws, check out the US Copyright Office site at: http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/

VAGA, the company of which I am the executive director, is a copyright collective administering reproduction rights for approximately 5000 artists worldwide.

                            § 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use38

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include-

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

Sincerely,
Robert Panzer

VAGA (Visual Artists and Galleries Association)
350 Fifth Avenue
Suite 6305
New York, NY  10118
tel. 212 736 6666