NEDCC INVITES APPLICATIONS FOR SUBSIDIZED SURVEYS

A grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) makes it possible for the Northeast Document Conservation Center (NEDCC) to provide subsidized preservation planning surveys for collections of books, paper, and photographs.  Libraries, archives, museums, records repositories, and historical associations in MA, CT, RI, ME, VT, NH, NY and NJ are eligible to apply

Since 1981, NEDCC has provided hundreds of preservation planning surveys through its Field Service Office.  A survey includes a one-day site visit and a detailed, written report of observations and recommendations.  The surveyor evaluates building conditions, collections, and storage and handling procedures in order to identify potential hazards to collections and design strategies for preserving paper-based and documentary materials in the best condition possible.  Specific goals and priorities are suggested and steps needed to implement preservation measures are outlined.

The cost of our subsidized surveys is $250 plus actual expenses.  This is less than 10% of the cost of a full-priced review.  We offer up to five subsidized surveys per year. The next deadline is June 22, 2001.

Requests for application forms should be directed to Karen Brown, Field Service Representative, NEDCC, 100 Brickstone Square, Andover MA 01810-1494; 978/470-1010; [log in to unmask]. Applications forms are also available on our Web site at www.nedcc.org/surapp.htm.