Hello Judith
Well, my perusing of Conservogram seems very pertinent to the list this week.  They have a section on arsenic and natural history/ethnographic collections and include how to test for it and how to dispose of even the test material.
Also - they provide a date and say anything produced/preserved before that date has arsenic.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">judith oberst
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2001 5:49 PM
Subject: arsenic testing

I am interested in learning about inexpensive, non-destructive or micro-destructive tests for arsenic and other pesticides on organic collections (taxidermy and Native).

Test must be inexpensive enough on multiple items at a financially limited institution.

I am a curator at the Montana Historical Society, and we have concerns about some recent accessions given their limited insect damage, despite seemingly poor storage conditions.