I'm submitting this inquiry as a "layperson" who hopes to obtain some helpful advice from the professionals on this list.  Since I have seen previous discussions about the care of brass, including the use of wax, in the archives, I am hoping that you will find this request to fall within the range of discussion on this list.

I've just recently bought a Victorian full-size brass bed (made of brass wrapped around iron) and had it polished but not lacquered.  Now it is bright and shiny, but I would like it to mellow in color over time and regain some of the patina it has lost.  What do you recommend as the best way for me to achieve this?

I've heard that a wax finish would protect the brass yet let it tarnish slowly over time, and that the bed could then be re-waxed every few months or so.  If this is a good approach, should I wax the bed immediately or let it begin to tarnish before waxing it?  Also, do you recommend Renaissance wax or Butcher's wax or any other brand, and could you offer any hints on the best way to apply the wax?  (By the way, what is the difference in chemical composition and properties between Renaissance and Butcher's wax?)

If waxing is not the best way to eventually achieve an "antique brass finish," what else would you recommend that I could do myself fairly easily?

Thanks very much for any assistance you can provide!

Carolyn