At our medium sized historical society we receive many photograph requests every month.   Over the past year there have been many requests to receive the images in digital form instead of standard photo reprints.   Some people are so bold as to offer to bring in their own laptops and scanners.  So far we have denied all of these requests.  There are many issues at hand: number one being the preservation of the historic images; how much should be charged and how do you argue that the fee helps to preserve the collection (although scanning costs virtually nothing); how do we protect copyright of a digital image?  Any suggestions of what has worked for others out there would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!!!!!

Renee Kurtzweil, Director of Collections
Northern Indiana Center for History