  From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Renee Kurtzweil
  Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2001 1:28 PM
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: Re: Requesting Historic Photos in Digital Formats

  At our medium sized historical society we receive many photograph requests
every month.   Over the past year there have been many requests to receive
the images in digital form instead of standard photo reprints.   Some people
are so bold as to offer to bring in their own laptops and scanners.  So far
we have denied all of these requests.  There are many issues at hand: number
one being the preservation of the historic images; how much should be
charged and how do you argue that the fee helps to preserve the collection
(although scanning costs virtually nothing); how do we protect copyright of
a digital image?  Any suggestions of what has worked for others out there
would be greatly appreciated!

  Thanks!!!!!!!

  Renee Kurtzweil, Director of Collections
  Northern Indiana Center for History