I agree with Ken on finding a Conservator to look at the mural and let this Conservator take care of the mural. I dislike the statement:

>I would be very reluctant to take the advice of someone
who would prescribe a treatment over the Internet that you
could self-administer.<
We are all professionals here and did not get to be where we are by sitting around and doing nothing.
In the question, it was clearly stated that the wall painting was deteriorating. In my reply, I stated clearly that tests should be conducted before applying anything.
For you information, Paraloid B72 is a product that is easily reversible so the statement:
>…to risk turning your valued artifact into an expendable lab experiment<
is totally inappropriate.

I do agree with Ken that Susan has to be careful and that she has to look for a (better) long-term solution. I do apologias for the use of the words ’quick fix’ they where an unfortunate choice.
 Susan, if you need more information do not hesitate to contact me.
 Kind regards,
Roeland Stulemeijer
Conservator
National University of Singapore Museums
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel: (+ 65) 874 8817
Fax: (+ 65) 778 3738
10 Kent Ridge Crescent
Singapore 119260

From: Ken Deroux <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Stabilizing painted mural
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:12:49 -0900
Re: the painted mural on the Battleship Texas- It sounds like you should
find a conservator who can look at the actual problem. I would be very
reluctant to take the advice of someone who would prescribe a treatment

over the Internet that you could self-administer. To do so would be to risk
turning your valued artifact into an expendable lab experiment. There are
some very good conservators in Texas. You should be able to find some leads
at the American Institute for Conservation web-site at:
http://aic.stanford.edu/
Kenneth DeRoux
Curator of Museum Services
Alaska State Museum