Hello fellow listers:

I have been investigating graduate programs around the country and have identified three that suit my needs and interests.  My interests are in the curation of American or European decorative arts. I have identified the programs at Parsons School of Design and Bard College.  These two have specific programs in decorative arts and have  MA & Ph.D. components.  Only programs with a Ph.D. component are being considered. I am aware of the recent discussion on the list about the need for a doctoral degree--I have decided for now that I will pursue the advanced degree.

The other program is at Case Western Reserve University in Ohio.  This program has a MA/Ph.D. (combined) in Art History and Museum Studies.  Would this type of program also be appropriate for decorative arts?

All the programs have different admission requirements.  Some require the GRE exam, some reading proficiency in two additional languages, so just acquiring the admissions prerequisites is tough.  I don't want to waste my time if I hear from the museum community that a particular program in not useful.

I have a strong academic record, great academic and professional letters of recommendation,  and three semesters to go to finish my BA degree.

I am seeking input from people who know about these schools or programs, comments about the track I am proposing, and overall recommendations.  Also suggestions for internships.

Your professional opinions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

My e-mail address is [log in to unmask] if you whish to respond confidentially.

Thanks for your time.

Michael Katzberg
Student
School of Architecture, Art and Historic Preservation
Roger Williams University
Bristol, RI