Museum and Online Collecting Dear List Members:

I am searching for any for articles and museum professionals comments on the pros and cons of museums utilizing online auction houses to find and purchase items for permanent collections.  I am beginning to research a small exhibit which will focus on our museum’s use of eBay.com to bid and buy souvenir china and similar small artifacts and archival items that document the region we serve.  The idea with this exhibit is to showcase not only the items collected but also the comments on pros/cons of collecting online from the museum field.

If you have a comment or know of any museum journal that has discussed this issue, please reply to this discussion list.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards

Jeffory Morris
Curator