Could anyone give me a reasonably accurate figure/informed guestimate of the total number of people employed in what could be described as the 'heritage industry' in the United Kingdom.. This would encompass a broad sweep and include museums, heritage centres, preserved buildings, transport systems and anything of a like nature. In particular I would be grateful if some figures for those with a maritime theme could be provided.

If anyone has a reasonable suggestion as to where these figures could be quickly found I would be very grateful.

Alan Lee