Hi Carolyn,
The "tacky" solution isn't all that bad. Using heavy antique-type paper tacked with reproduction cut nails would look fine in the context of a rough barn interior. Another solution would be to provide line drawings of the tools as presented on the wall keyed to a flip book. This can provide enough room for a considerble amount of interpretation. A flip book can use images of the tool in use and plenty of text - enough to please the most exacting tool enthusiast.
Greg Koos
Bloomington IL

[log in to unmask] wrote:

 We have an existing exhibit of old farm and woodworking tools in an 1820s log barn.  The labels for these are in dire need of replacing, but I'd prefer not to attach them to the logs with staples and tacks, as they were previously.  But then, what are my possibilities for reversible attachment (& I feel dwee asking, seeing as many of the TOOLS are nailed to the walls)?  Thanks in advance for suggestions. Carolyn BreedloveKent Plantation HouseAlexandria, LA