Listers,

    Who would have ever thought this topic could be so complicated!

In the U.S. it has been my experience that many MA programs now offer students either a thesis option or an exam option.  This seems to be especially true of programs that emphasize the practical side of some profession, say for example museum work.

Also as far as I know in the U.S. there is no higher degree than the PhD, but I could be wrong.  I do know that a fair number of academic types are now opting for "post docs" which they take more courses and pursue research but there is no further degree granted.

Bernida wrote  "The PhD here is research only with no required coursework."  That sure would have been nice!  However, I think that is a relatively rare occurrence in the U.S.  I have compared many PhD programs and typically, even the scientific ones, required coursework.  Generally speaking U.S. doctorate programs require about 2 years worth of courses (1.5 or less if you are  into self flagellation).  One large written exam (6-8 hours) demonstrating  a level of mastery of the discipline in question.  Another lengthy written exam demonstrating mastery of your    field(s) in said discipline(s).  And finally the research component neatly packaged into a dissertation of original research, including a successful defense.

I think this is a fairly standardized curriculum in the U.S. (with minor changes here and there) through the accreditation system in place at U.S. universities.

  Bill
www.pointsnorthresearch.com