A ceramic tile mural that formerly occupied the exterior of
the defunct Ahmanson building in Los Angeles, CA is available to a
non-profit organization that can care for this large-scale work. The mural
is currently stored in 10 plywood crates.  The mural is free, and the
interested organization will need to pay for transport and possible
re-crating if it must travel long-distance.

                The mural, called The History of Mexico and Mankind, was
colorfully designed by Raul S. Esparza of Torreon, Mexico for the California
Museum of Science  & Industry in recognition of the long standing friendship
between Mexico and the United States.  The artist had a studio and kiln
built at the museum during his residency.  It was completed in 1975.

                The mural measures 24' x 60' when installed.  It weighs
approximately 9,000 lbs.  It consists of eight sections depicting aspects of
Aztec and Mayan cultures.  The mural includes images and ideas such as the
concept of mathematics, calendar, pre-Hispanic culture, and the political
history of conquest and independence.

                We need to find a home fast as we plan to move our permanent
collection by the end of the summer!

                Please call or email me for more information!  Photographs
and installation plans available.

Ellen Kwan Lewis
Special Exhibitions Coordinator
CALIFORNIA SCIENCE CENTER