For a potential article, I've been researching unusual hand fans of the 19th century.  I've noticed that numerous 1870s and 1880s fashion plates depict a fixed fan/handscreen of feathers, usually round.  I've only seen one real-life example from this era of this type of fan (plenty of later paper advertising fans in this style, of course).  So, I'm wondering how common they really were in the U.S.?  Does anyone have such an item in their collection?

Secondly, if you do have such a thing--what were the feathers mounted on?  Are the feathers pasted onto some kind of disk (if so, what is the disk made of?) or stuck directly into the stick?

Anne L. Foster
Archival Fellow
Center of Southwest Studies
Fort Lewis College