Greetings!

Just a few observations which may or may not be useful to you in your search.

It has been my experience that most museum professionals who are working with natural history collections have advanced degrees in some object-related field, like entomology, paleontology, herpetology etc. and that museums with active research in those collections often have close
ties with academic insititutions where they may share professors and graduate students to research the collections.  It is also true that often these same people have had little training (some have little interest!)  in museum procedures that may involve object conservation,
technical preparation of specimens, exhibit label writing, museum legalities regarding ownership etc..  I have to admit that most of my "museum training" was on the job, and after 25 years I'm still learning.

With your degree in physics and biochemistry you may want to investigate employment opportunities in more of a science technology center (one whose emphasis is on the exhibition and explanation of processes and applied sciences, not the development and research of systematic
collections), planetarium, or corporate exhibition space (one which creates exhibits to explain their mission to the public, like the Lawrence Livermore Labs or nuclear facilities).   Some of the governmental agencies with high profile, high technology space programs (like NASA)
might also be a good fit.

I wish I could give you lots of encouragement.  But, to be frank, the field is overloaded - especially in recent years with the downsizing of the US Geological Survey and museums across the country.  I also think you'll find the pay scales to be less than satisfying with the
exception of the largest institutions.   However, you should try to do whatever it is that stimulates your creativity and satisfies your yearning for life-long learning.   In the latter quest  there is surely no finer place than a museum!

Good luck with your search.  If all people were discouraged by hardship and the strenuous journey we never would have reached the summit of the Himalayans.  So, I say, go for it!   And if, by chance, you find the "road not taken" brings you happiness and success, so much the better!

Shirley Albright
Assistant Curator of Natural History
New Jersey State Museum