Heather,

From all the helpful responses I've received from listers, it seems most museums construct their own carts, or buy "material handling" carts.  These A-frame carts (which are meant to hold drywall, plywood, etc.) look good, but I'm concerned about a center support.  As drywall, etc., comes in such large pieces, a center support is not needed, but for paintings, it would be important as not all paintings are as big as a sheet of drywall.  In one response I received, the person had seen A-frame carts at the AAM expo with paneling similar to art storage panels so the painting could "hang" on the cart.  She is still looking for the catalog/company name for me.  Did anyone else see this at AAM?  Unfortunately, I missed that vendor.

Also, I've received suggestions on flat carts as well as A-frame carts.  Why is one better than the other?

Thanks.

Kara J. Hurst
Registration Intern
Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History

Heather Smith wrote:

Kara - I have been trying to find the same thing here - a sort of A-frame cart that art can sit on and lean against for transport. Someone told me that a drywall cart is a similar thing and that they are produced by cart making companies - I haven't looked into this yet...Heather
-----Original Message-----
From: Audra Oliver <[log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, June 22, 2000 4:15 PM
Subject: Re: Cart to transport framed art (again)
 Kara,C & H Distributors offers a wide selection of carts.  We got a flat bed one with pneumatic tires for around $200.  If I remember correctly, they also offer ones with vertical dividers which may serve your purpose.  You will have to install the padding yourself.  I am at home so I do not have their address. Other industrial suppliers also offer carts.  It seems the museum market is a bit too small a nitch for the cart manufacturers to address directly.  If they did decide the price would rival a year's beginning salary.  Perhaps some of the manufacturers listed in volume 2 of the Official Museum Directory could help you out. Audra