Plastic lumber is a term open to many interpretations. Indeed, that is or has been a major problem: there are few standards or definitions. We have used plastic lumber, both recycled and non-recycled. Result: mixed bag.

We -- a state park system -- have utilized plastic lumber in benches (park benches, though not picnic tables) and decking for boardwalks. We often experiment with construction or repair strategies which save nonrenewable resources (hence recycled plastic), cut construction costs, and save on maintenance. The results have varied both from project to project and from plank to plank. Typically, our brutal climate causes what we would call severe checking if the substance were wood. There is also a loss or fading of color. Structurally, there is often no "tempering" material (fibers or reinforcing materials), which means the plank cannot span the same distances that wood planking does. And we have found that maintenance is not lessened, though I cannot say it was increased. I would love to use up the recyclable plastic we find all over -- polarfleece, anyone? And I would also like to use up all the old tires.  But.

Please note we would never consider using plastic planking to repair or to replace historic fabric in any historic structure. In caring for an older structure we have promises to keep.  Walk the walk, talk the talk, sweat bullets, spend the money, adhere to the Secretary of the Interior's Standards. Replace only hopeless historic fabric, and replace it with appropriate materials applied in an appropriate manner.  Thanks. I feel better now.

John Scafidi, Florida State Parks