Courier_NewThe short answer, is yes, you may use laser pointers to point at areas on works of art, however, caution should be taken with works that are extrmely light sensitive, such as watercolors and certain prints with fugitive inks or dyes. Also, the pointer should not be hle in one place for a long duration. The long answer is attached below, which comes from a query on the conservation discussion list... Hope this helps! Lori K. van Handel Department Head, Preventive Conservation Associate Conservator Williamstown Art Conservation Center 225 South Street, Williamstown, MA 01267 USA voice: 413.458.5741, fax: 413.458.2314 [log in to unmask] Courier_NewDate: 3 Dec 1999 From: Marie Svoboda <<[log in to unmask]> Subject: Laser pointers Katy Untch <<[log in to unmask]> writes >I've been asked to find out if other museums allow the use of Laser >pointers in their galleries. I'd be curious to know what other >conservators think about the affect of laser pointers on works of >art. Is there any better method for a docent to use for pointing? Richard Newman at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston has recently produced a document on laser pointers as a result of various inquiries about their use in the galleries by our docents and guards. This document is intended as a handout for those who want more information on the types of pointers available and their danger to people and works of art. The document also outlines a protocol for their use in museum galleries. The information we complied was based on contributions made by various scholarly sources and the web page: < **** Moderator's comments: Unfortunately, as of the time of this mailing the above document appears to have access restrictions on it. Here are excerpts from the MFA's Laser Pointer document: Lasers pointers manufactured in the United States must have a label that states the class of laser in the product. The most common laser pointers currently on the market are 'Class IIIA,' meaning that they have a moderate power output (1-5 mW). Of the red light pointers, the least expensive and most readily available emit 670 nanometer light. Only red light lasers of 'Class IIIA' or below should be utilized. If possible, 'Class II' red light lasers should be used; these are safer than 'Class IIIA' types, but may not have sufficient intensity for use in galleries. Laser light is highly directional. If shined directly on the retina of the human eye for an extended period of time, permanent damage is possible, even from the common red light laser pointers. The FDA has issued a warning on the use of laser pointers, and precautions for their use have been published in a number of places. Accidental exposure to the beam from a laser pointer, which usually would last a very short time (often less a second), will not produce permanent injury to the eye. There are possible temporary effects, including flashblindness (a temporary vision impairment, as can occur after viewing any bright light), afterimage, and glare. Red light laser pointers pose no other health hazards-for example, shining a pointer on skin, even for an extended period of time, is not dangerous. Anyone who uses a pointer in the galleries should be informed about safe pointer operation (not pointing them at people or on reflective surfaces (such as metals). Visible light can produce perceptible changes in some materials. For example, sensitive dyes may fade. Such dyes may occur in textiles, watercolor paintings, various types of prints, upholstery fabrics, and in some pigments used in easel paintings. Some simple measurements we have made indicate that the intensity of light at the spot illuminated by a red light laser pointer exceeds the maximum recommended footcandles for sensitive works of art. However, since a laser pointer would generally only be held on one specific spot on a work of art for a very short period of time, it seems very unlikely that any measurable damage (i.e. fading) would occur. It should also be noted that the most common laser pointers emit red light; red light has the longest wavelengths and consequently the lowest energy of any color of visible light. A certain number of footcandles of red light would be less damaging to a sensitive work of art than the same number of footcandles of white light. Absorption of the light from the laser by a dark-colored surface could potentially produce a local temperature rise; again, however, given the length of time on which the pointer is held on a specific spot, this is not likely to be cause for concern. As a matter of policy, light-sensitive objects should not be illuminated by pointers. Hope this is helpful. We would be interested in hearing from others on this topic. Marie Svoboda Assistant Conservator Museum of Fine Arts, Boston Date: 3 Dec 1999 From: William Hall <<[log in to unmask]> Subject: Laser pointers Katy Untch <<[log in to unmask]> writes >I've been asked to find out if other museums allow the use of Laser >pointers in their galleries. I'd be curious to know what other >conservators think about the affect of laser pointers on works of >art. Is there any better method for a docent to use for pointing? In my opinion this comes under the same category as flash. The occasional use of a laser pointer for a few seconds, particularly if it is moving around, makes very little difference to the total light dose received by the object. In addition, most laser pointers are red which is the least damaging part of the spectrum. The heating effect of a pointer is not significant. I would have thought that more damage could be done by the lecturer pointing/touching with hand or stick. Obviously pointing a laser pointer at a fixed place on vulnerable object for more than a few 10s of seconds would not be a good idea. William Hall Littlemore Scientific (ELSEC), Oxford UK Manufacturer of environmental monitors for museums & art galleries +44 1865 747437 Fax: +44 1865 747780 ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes). If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes).