Finally, a chance to give back to the list! I get the digested version
of Museum-L, so these may have already been mentioned.

There are a couple of good publications I have read on visitor
evaluation. You can find descriptions and purchase both through the AAM
web site, http://www.aam-us.org/index.htm. Just click on "bookstore"
then "member" or "non-member" accordingly. Full references are on AAM's
site. The two publications:

Judy Diamond's "Practical Evaluation Guide: Tools for Museums & Other
Informal Educational Settings" (1999).
- It's very understandable and straightforward. Covers topics like
planning a project, collecting data, measuring learning, as well as
presenting and evaluating data.

Minda Borun and Randi Korn (Eds.), Roxana Adams (Series Ed.).
"Introduction to Museum Evaluation" (1999).
- Series of papers from visitor evaluators in the field, covering a wide
range of topics. Really a pretty complete view of visitor evaluation,
including issues like visitor surveys, working with data, front-end
evaluation, formative evaluation, summative evaluation, and issues in
the field. Gives case studies of some of these as well. A professional
practice series put out by CARE (Committee on Audience Research and
Evaluation of AAM).

Just a couple of references out of many in the field, although the books
do a nice job of bringing much of the current and past thinking and
research together. If I missed any obvious references, please forgive
me, these are just a couple of recent ones.

Take care,

Steve Yalowitz
Colorado State University

P.S. Thanks to those who responded to my "visitor satisfaction"
question. I will summarize and send feedback I received to those who
requested it.