Because of the complications of other plans, we opted for an SEP-IRA plan to which employees may contribute pre-tax earnings, if they wish, and to which the Museum contributes 5% of annual salary to each individual's account.  The SEP-IRAs are portable, i.e., the money is the employee's.  There is almost no paperwork except for those who opt for payroll deduction.  There are also no individual investment choices -- in effect, it is an annuity managed by a life insurance company in our case.  There are probably others offering SEP-IRAs.  TIAA-CREF is another choice, opened some years ago to non-profits and now, I believe, to others -- but there is an administrative overhead that, in the case of our six-person staff, we couldn't handle.

Ross Weeks Jr.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]>VCMHA.org - Collections
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2000 2:17 PM
Subject: Retirement Plans?

Hello Listers,
Our new director is interested in starting some kind of retirement savings plan for the employees at our museum. We are a private non-profit with seven full-time employees.  Do any of you work at museums that have retirement savings plans, or know of specific plans for non-profits? Any help you can give us would be greatly appreciated!

Kathy Henri
Collections Mgr/Asst Curator
Ventura County Museum of History & Art
Ventura, CA