Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 13:22:27 -0500 (EST)
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Help for the art layperson
To: [log in to unmask]

Determining the binding medium (acrylic etc.) by just looking at the artwork
is very difficult even for an experienced person and often leads to wrong
interpretations.  I have worked for 26 years as conservation scientist and
while I sometimes hazard a guess I would never state my assumptions as a fact
without backing it up with an analysis.

Appearances can be very deceiving since the final appearance of an artwork
depends on factors such as the substrate, the composition of the ground and
how the artist has manipulated the paint.  For example many modern Japanese
oil paintings (western style) look like tempera or glue based paintings
because many Japanese painters extract some of the oil from the paint before
using it, moving it from fat to lean.

If it is really important for you to know the medium then you should seek the
funding to have analyses done (there are some simple micro-chemical tests
too, that a lay person could learn).

I hope this answers your question.

Frank D. Preusser
Frank Preusser & Associates, Inc.