From:
Jill Vexler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 17:37:28 -0400
Jennifer Jaskowiak wrote:

> Please for give any cross-posting:
>
> Question about editing procedures:
>
> Does any institution have a known "procedure", written or implied,
> regarding editing of educational materials?  Who has final say--the
> educator, the curator, or the editor?  What if you don't have an editor on
> staff?
>
> I would appreciate any sound advice in the interest of maintaining peace
> between departments and staff.
>
> Please feel free to respond to the list or to my private email.
>
> Thanks, in advance.
>
> Jennifer Jaskowiak
> Curator/Exhibition Coordinator
> Fisher Gallery, USC

A quick shoot from the hip answer:
        the primordial function of educational materials is to educate
and therefore accuracy of information is the most important. Which of
the individausl in the roles your refer to has the msot knowledge? The
second question always remains: can the person write?  If not, then
others may enter. i would like to thik that the curator would have the
final approval of any educational materials about her field that an
educator might develop. That the educator writes for her audience is all
the better, but the infomration must be geynd reproach academically,
thus, back to the curator it must/should go.

how else can educators refute the claim that they are "watering down"
curatorial information and the intellectual quality of the institution?

The goal, then, is to combine strengths: curatorial information and the
educators' talents to communicate that information to a broadbased
public.

content, quality, integrity....who has those? that's the final voice.

Jill Vexler, Ph.D.