From:
Amalyah Keshet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 21:37:04 PDT
On Sat, 22 Jun 1996 22:57:46 LOCAL  N.M. Cummings wrote:
(snip)
>I'm reading this thread regularly now because we're having the same
questions
>come up about CDROM usage and "electronic media".  But, I'm with all

of
>you...the number of times I've gotten calls, faxes and e-mails
saying "We have
>to pay a fee, but it's for "promotional" use!"  Yeah..._their_
promotion...not
>the such and such museum's promotion.  The other frequently heard
"line" is,
>"But we'll give you credit..."  Gee thanks...  :-)
>
>-Nina Cummings-

Have you ever tried to find the photo credits on a general-market
CD-ROM?  That is, to connect the credits with a specific image...?
It's enlightening.

This is what I call the "Great P.R. Value" gambit, and I have a
standard rejoinder:  "The fact that you came to us indicates that
we've already done our public relations rather well."

It's advisable to always weigh the question "Okay, who needs who
here?" when
confronted with one of these clients.  Obviously, 99% of  the time,
it is
they who need something from you. Common sense (?!), therefore, would

dictate that they should expect to pay.  The P.R. opportunity of a
lifetime,
the CD-ROM or documentary film or whatever in which  you can dictate
which
images from your collection are used, what is  done with them and
what is
said in the narration or text about them  and about your museum -- in
short,
the product in which you are  offered some measure of control,
significant
exposure and guaranteed,  not incidental, publicity-- will be obvious
when
and if it comes  along.

amalyah keshet
director, visual resources, the israel museum, jerusalem
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
date: 06/23/96
visit our web site at http://www.imj.org.il