From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:27:44 -0700
Construction of Pittsburgh's original Buhl Planetarium
and Institute of Popular Science was completely funded
in 1939 by the Buhl Foundation [then, the nation's
13th largest foundation].

However, it was built on city property [former City
Hall property of Pittsburgh's "twin city," Allegheny
City, which merged with Pittsburgh in 1907]. And, when
the building was dedicated, the Buhl Foundation deeded
the building to the CIty of Pittsburgh, by prior
arrangement in the lease of 1937. The Buhl Foundation
then funded the Buhl Planetarium for more than 40
years.

When building the many libraries he constructed,
Andrew Carnegie insisted that the municipality provide
the land for the building; then Andrew Carnegie
provided the funding to build the library. The
municipality was also required to subsidize the
library, on an annual basis, at no less than 10
percent of the cost of the constructed building. There
were a few exceptions to this rule, but the vast
majoroity of libraries were thus funded by "The
Carnegie Formula."

In a similar way, when Andrew Carnegie built The
Carnegie Museums of Natural History and Art in
Pittsburgh [in the same huge building as the Main
Branch of The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh], the
City provided the property for the building [Schenley
Park,  in the Oakland Civic Center 3 miles from
Downtown, influenced by the City Beautiful movement of
the time]. Then at the dedication, Andrew Carnegie
gifted the building to the City.

In Pittsburgh, for the museums and library branches
provided by Andrew Carnegie, the arrangement was
originally quite informal: basically, a handshake [as
well as few letters between the City and Andrew
Carnegie] !!! It was not until a few years ago that
Carnegie Library and Museum felt it was necessary to
have a formal lease agreement with the City of
Pittsburgh.

gaw