From:
Charlene Garvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 14:55:59 -0700
I am making this inquiry on behalf of a museum colleague who does not
have access to the Internet.  Please respond to me on or off-list and
I will forward the information to her.

She would like to hear from people who have real-world (versus
theoretical) knowledge of the use of digital cameras for the
documentation of collections.  Her museum uses the "Virtual
Collection" collection management software produced by GCI in Quebec,
Canada.  She intends to purchase a digital camera in order to create
image files for the artifact records in this database.

What she wants to know is
- what specific digital cameras are in use in the museum community for
this work?
- are you satisfied by the quality of the photographs produced?
- what resolution are you capturing, and or, storing your images at
for collection documentation?
- what file sizes (in general) are these resolutions producing?
- what image formats are you using?
- any other experiences or useful advice you may be willing to share.

Thank you in advance.

Charlene Garvey, Network Coordinator
Museums Alberta: Information Network
http://www.ualberta.ca/Museums/Alberta/Network/index.htm