From:
Lori Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 13:56:08 -0500
Bravo Diane and Audra!

The term "not for profit" refers to the fact that profits or dividends are
not paid to the board of directors, shareholders or owners, etc.  Further,
if an organization is able to generate a surplus, those funds are not taxed
(providing they meet UBIT rules).  In no way are non-profit organizations
(NPO's) prevented from making a profit.  In fact, just like a for-profit,
they must have funds equal to or in excess of expenses to continue
operating.  In other words, NPO's don't operate in another dimension that
is somehow exempt from economic law.

What really bothers me about the comments is the fact the mention was made
of the institution being non profit, as if the services rendered were less
valuable due to the organization's tax status.  Would the added admission
be acceptable if the museum was operated as an amusement park? There you
pay admission price plus concert ticket price, even if you don't plan on
riding the rides or seeing the attractions.  Why? Because you have access -
same issue as museums.  You have access to the regular collection, even if
you say you are only visiting the special exhibit.  Like much of the rest
of life, this issue is access and availability.

I think the issue is that the public has been conditioned to think that
museums should be free: i.e..  that some "rich person" pays for it or the
government or that "it is supported by my taxes so I don't have to pay
again".  The reality is that there is no such thing as a free ride.  You
want to view the collection, you have to pay for that privilege; you want
to see the special show, that cost extra.  The museum doesn't "owe" its
visitors any more than what a for-profit business owes its customers:  you
get what you pay for.  And blockbuster shows are a myth - they don't make
big money.

Complaining to a list full of people who deal with chronic fiscal shortages
about having to pay to enjoy the fruits of their labor is not too smart.
Frankly, I like my paycheck and if you have to pay extra to see the show of
your choice to ensure that it continues, I am completely OK with that.  I
don't work for free and you don't get to play for free either.

Lori Allen
Graduate Student, History and Museum Studies
University of Missouri - St. Louis

"Well behaved women rarely make history."
                                  - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, Historian