From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:47:10 -0500
Two more bits of advice:

First: Be extremely careful about your spelling and grammer. Watch every
comma. Use the proper there, their, or they're. Know the difference between
its and it's. Proper spoken grammer is noticed by interviewers as well. As I
was reading responses to this query from unsuccessful job seekers, I noticed
grammatical errors and they raised questions in my mind. Granted these are
quick e-mails to a listserve, but...what does this say about the applicant's
ability to pay attention to details?

Second: Join professional organizations that relate to the position you're
seeking then LIST THEM ON YOUR RESUME. I believe this shows a level of
committment to the profession that can't be conveyed in other ways. The
Standing Professional Committees of AAM are a place to start but aren't the
only ones. Yes, they're expensive but it may help if one thinks of them as
one more essential expense associated with finding the right position in
one's field. The SPCs are also good networking opportunities.

When I review applications, this is one of the first things for which I
look. Not only does this show the applicant is serious, I've learned that
the applicant knows where to find certain types of information. If someone
is looking for a job as an exhibit developer and that person isn't a member
of NAME, then how do I know this person is versed with some of the most
timely issues in the field? If S/He is a member, at least I can imagine S/He
reads the journal.

Diane Gutenkauf
(member of an entire alphabet soup can of acronyms: NAME, ED Com, RCAAM,
AASLH, VSA, AABGA, AAM, IAM, MMC, CMEG, CARC, whew.)