From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 05:44:40 EST
In a message dated 11/2/99 9:08:08 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> I'd have to agree with this (being a museum technician).  There are three of
>  us where I work.  We're expected to split our duties about 50 - 50 between
>  interperative and tech work.  It's sort of like a dream job for someone
with
>  varied backgrounds ranging from diesel mechanics to artists to
>  carpenters........the common denominator seems to be history or related
>  degrees.

But the difference is, even though you job may be highly technical, it's
still not something you would want to use scanned resumes and keywords to
screen people out for.

For example, someone who is applying to be a database programmer or
administrator needs a very specific set of skills:  SQL or Oracle, C++,
Visual basic, GUI design and development, Novell or Microsoft Network (or
both), Java, HTML (if the database is accessible by the web), and a few other
stuff.  You can scan a resume a pull out those keywords and then screen the
rest by hand.  A computing degree isn't really a necessity in the computing
world these days as long as you know the right programming languages or
hardware/software programs.

For your job, granted I don't know exactly what you do, you can take people
with a wide variety of backgrounds which can be stated a variety of ways.
Hiring someone for an interpretation job you can take people with public
speaking experience, theater experience, or education experience.  THere are
a variety of degrees that one can have which will qualify you for the job.
The mechanical/technical part of the job is easier as you can specify:
hand-held power-tools, band-saws, miter boxes, press drills, welding
equipment, etc.

In education positions, you don't always need to have a specific topic
background but more the demonstrated ability to teach children and adults.
(Note I said "not always" as some positions you need to be a subject matter
expert as well as an educator.)

Granted museum positions are becoming more technical, but I don't see them as
getting "Technical specific" - for lack of a better term - as "high tech" or
computing industry jobs.

Deb

Museum-L" (without the quotes).