From:
Stacia Kuceyeski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 2009 10:37:23 -0400
I had to do a career day for K-2 students, which was a bit daunting!  I
had a PowerPoint where I did a Google map where I showed how I got from
where I worked to their school, then I had a picture of our office area
to show what work looked like.  I talked a little bit about the kind of
things in the collection and that our job is to take care of these
items. Really basic stuff, and then I showed images of some cool stuff.

Then I told them we were going to do what curators do and I gave each
table a reproduction of different photographs that had kids working.
Each group had to decide what was going on in the photograph.  At the
end each photograph was on a PP slide and then each group talked about
what they thought was going on.  During group work I walked around to
help them out. I had 45 minutes to do all this for about 4 different
classes of students.  It actually worked really well.  Even at such a
young age they really like looking at the photos and thinking about what
was happening.  Especially since many of the kids in the images were
around their age.  I also had some small white gloves which I made them
all wear which make everything infinitely cooler.

One thing to consider is instead of just touching and showing, actually
have them do something.  Like I said, I had no idea if I was going to
stand up there and hear crickets chirp or not, but the kids really got
into it.