From:
Lara Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:17:32 -0500
Ross and Indigo, I wholeheartedly disagree.  I don't think there was any
sort of tone in the original post that sounded like he believed that his
U.Va degree would "trigger the entire museum world into action, openings
would be dropped at his feet as they were roses. . ."  That seems
incredibly harsh.  Indigo, I also felt that to say that it read as a
singles ad was very patronizing.  What purpose do either of those comments
serve?

There is a really cynical contingent of this list-serv that constantly
berates job-seekers.  Messages that talk about "I need a job" posts clog up
the list-serv much more than the original emails.  The purpose of this
list-serv is to offer a place where museum professionals (and others) can
ask questions, offer suggestions, etc.  One of the purposes of this
list-serv is to inquire about jobs, talk about salaries, ask about
internships, etc.  There are many other web resources, as Indigo points
out, but this list-serv is certainly one of those resources.

I've been on this list-serv for several years now, and I normally find the
information and comments from Ross and Indigo both friendly and helpful.
These comments seemed very out of character.  Ross, your question: "Does
anyone in higher education still teach folks how to present themselves in
the job market?"  was not constructive on any level, and, with that
question, I felt that you presented yourself in a way that contradicts your
past contributions to this list.

                      Ross Weeks
                      <[log in to unmask]        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      NET>                       cc:
                      Sent by: Museum            Subject:  "I Need a Job" Postings
                      discussion list
                      .LSOFT.COM>

                      08/16/2002 09:30 AM
                      Please respond to
                      Museum discussion
                      list

I found the original posting a bit naive.  Indigo was right on target.

The job-seeker seemed to feel his U.Va. credential would trigger the entire
museum world into action, openings would be dropped at his feet as if they
were roses, and he'd get snapped up quickly.

Does anyone in higher education still teach folks how to present themselves
in the job market?

Ross Weeks Jr.
Historic Crab Orchard Museum & Pioneer Park
Tazewell, Va.
http://histcrab.netscope.net