From:
Marielle Fortier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:48:47 -0500
Hello VivianLea,
Three years ago I worked for a museum as a museum tech to help move the
museum.  Two techs were hired for a year to perform inventory, photograph,
barcode, pack and move the collections to a new building.  We did have
access to 5 interns and used a professional moving company to help with the
large items and to move our library. We moved everything within that year,
but no time was left to unpack or set up the storage area.   Currently I am
working a museum that is starting the process of moving. They have hired me
as Registrar 2 years before the museum is scheduled to be completed. This
allows more detailed inventory, data entry and cleaning of each object
before it is moved.
I need to check my records of how much bubble pack, boxes, acid free tissue
and box tape we went through in the year moving the museum (it was a lot!).
I also recommend checking out "Moving the Mountain: A Guide to Moving
Collections" written by the Science Museum of Minnesota.  I have found that
you can purchase the book from University Products (800) 628-1912.
I will let you know more details when I check my records.  please let me
know if I can be of more help.

Marielle

Registrar
Vermont