From:
Pete Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 18:13:41 +0100
As the Museums Officer for East Lothian Council, which is responsible for
the day-to-day operation of the Muir Birthplace, I feel I ought to respond
to this, since the information in the letter is both misleading and
inaccurate.

The scheme to develop the Muir Birthplace was not "devised and approved in
total secrecy" -- the Trust itself includes representatives of the local
Community Council and Dunbar's John Muir Association, and plans for
development of the house had been under discussion since 1998.

Claiming that the plan is to "gut and destroy all three floors of this
historic listed building" is misleading at the very least, since it is
clearly meant to imply that the interior of the building is historic. It is
_not_, and it is _widely_known_ that it is not.

The interior of the building in fact dates from no earlier than 1980 (apart
from some of the roof trusses, which will not be touched in any case). The
"tower" will not be "packed with plasma screens, VDUs, computers and
exhibition panels" - there will be one plasma screen (used because it takes
less space than a conventional TV). The architect does not propose "that
tourists and school groups should climb this tower via an internal
staircase" as the staircase will be the existing staircase, and visitors
will not merely "peep out through wooden window openings, to peer at the
ruined interior walls of the Muir House, on which he will affix exhibition
panels." since the exhibition will be in and around the wooden structure,
but it will also include opportunities to see the original walls of the
building, and also to see out through the windows of the building to Dunbar
itself. The walls of the building are _all_ that remains from Muir's day.

I strongly suggest that List readers who are interested in the facts rather
than the hyperbole might care to check out the web site of the John Muir
Birthplace Trust at http://www.jmbt.org.uk/ , where they will find an
independent conservation architect's report on the building and background
on the development plans, and that of Dunbar's John Muir Association at
http://www.djma.org.uk/ where the background of consultation and discussion
is laid out.

Peter M Gray
Museums Officer