From:
Cate Cooney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 12:00:46 -0600
Hi All,

> Candace Perry, schwenkfelder library & heritage center wrote:
>
> Don't you think, however, that the positions that absolutely require a PhD
> are limited to a handful of top-level curatorial jobs...specifically in art
> museums?

Oh, yes! But Sienna did say that she wanted to be a curator and that her
main interest was modern and contemporary art - I guess I assumed she
was thinking of a large art museum and not a small (though surely fine)
history museum.  Also, I think I mentioned that the list archives show
(survey says!) that everyone agrees that experience is the most
important factor.  This doesn't mean that a Ph.D. won't help your cause
though!  Even if a position doesn't specifically require a Ph.D., a
Ph.D. may be necessary to be competitive.

> And that the people who hold these jobs not only have the degree,
> but extensive experience (perhaps gained while working on their PhDs) and
> published work?

Oh my goodness yes!  I am sure she will hold on to that "good museum
job" and will try to publish early and often, as well as seek out any
opportunity to assist in curating, or even curate shows.  But I still
think she should plan on a Ph.D.  If she hates the process, she can walk
away with a very useful Masters and plenty of experience.

Funny - I always assume that people work while getting their degrees and
that they usually work or volunteer in their field of interest.  So the
Ph.D. and experience go hand in hand in my head - is this not usually
the case?

-Cate