From:
Monika Gause <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 00:15:10 +0200
>I have just become responsible for a project to a create a cd-rom, and I
>have never done this before. I've put together exhibitions and
>publications, but nothing digital.

Hi Jane,

what do you want to put on the CD-ROM? Is it a presentation
(PowerPoint-like), a database, a computer-game, LivingBook, or something
else? Do you want to present it in an exhibition or distribute it?

Before planning your own CD, you should become acquainted with the medium
and take a look at some CD-ROMS others have produced. Then you can decide
which form of presentation to use for your subject and also for your
audience.

The audience is a crucial point, because you have to choose a form they are
able to use and they will accept. For instance for younger groups this will
be more of a game, highly interactive. If you distribute material for
research you will want to incorporate efficient search functions. If you
only present it in the exhibition, keep the navigation simple, because most
people don't have much experience with computers.

If you want to integrate your CD-ROM in an exhibition you should plan both
as a whole. And take care that everyone who is engaged in the project work
well together.

If you will be working with multimedia professionals to produce the CD-ROM,
you should talk to them as soon as possible. They can also help you to get
into the subject. To find the right people maybe you should see other
museums that already have computer media, see if you like it and ask your
collegues who made it. Many museums also offer their CD-ROMs in
online-museum-shops.

Kind regards,
Monika Gause
mediawerk hamburg http://www.mediawerk.de