From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 13:43:15 -0800
And it's probably past time to have the ramen
discussion again (wink--those who have been here a
while know of which I speak, LOL).

Every year, about this time, we have a fresh batch of
soon to be graduates who say, wait a minute, it
doesn't pay.  Nobody told me that.

Surprise!  I just told you!!  You've been warned.
Remember this is a job you usually do for the love of
the profession and not the love of the green stuff.
If lots of green stuff is your objective, than it's
best you look at OTHER career opportunities to match
your skill set.

Now, before the ramen discussion rolls any further,
for those to whom this is a shock, go to the bottom of
this note, find the link that takes you to the FAQ, go
to the archives, and search on ramen.  You'll see it's
been discussed over and over and over and over again,
and you can find all the recipes you could want, too,
if you're intent ONLY to narrow your options to a
museum.

It's not my intention to distract you (I spend too
many hours each week trying to get lots of you hired),
but I do want to make sure you're aware before
somebody throws the bucket of ice water called reality
in your face.

Happy searching!

--- "Jacqueline D. Frank"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

---------------------------------

Stephanie,

Deb had very good advice for you when she suggested
that you try find jobs your skills fit, and not a
particular job.

I graduated with a MA in history more than a year and
half ago with more than eight years of museum
experience and four internships at the time and
managed to have three good job offers and five
interviews after applying for six jobs. I had very
good grades, but was certainly was not the most
intelligent or creative member of my class.  However,
I was the first to find a job.

One of the best things I did in looking for a job was
trying to fit my skills to the job itself.
Organizations are not looking for someone who they can
help, but someone who can help them.  It is important
to reflect in your application that you are going to
be an asset and an assistance in meeting their needs.
In the cover letter, I always made the point of
writing about how my skills would help the specific
organization, then in the resume I would list the
skills that I had.  I also specialized in narrow
field, but since a museum career requires a broad
range of skills,  I ended up taking some advice
recieved years ago from an undergraduate professor.
He always said that when one was not sure in a test,
simply "show what you know". Be kind to the people who
are reading the resume by trying to be succinct, but
you should list your skills and how those skills have
been beneficial in the work you have already done.  It
may be helpful to ask people whom you have a good
relationship with and who work in the type of job that
you want to review your resume and perhaps take a look
at how they constructed theirs.  They can give you
tips about what worked for them and what does not.

Another thing that helped in my job search was not
restricting myself to a city, but a region that I
would be happy to live in. I also researched the
organization.  I was very picky in this respect,
because I made a point of looking for jobs where I
thought that the organization could actually use my
skills. The only job that I applied for where I did
not receive an interview was one where I more or less
haphazardly sent an application simply because my
boyfriend lived nearby.  No wonder they did not even
ask for an interview!

Additionally, it is very smart to use your
connections.  I used a former employers, friends,
teachers, and professionals that I met through my
internships to help me learn about position openings,
work as references, and simply be support.  Finding a
mentor that will help guide you during your early
working and late school life is wonderfully valuable.
Not only will you be guided, but you will also gain
connections through them, and hopefully, one day be of
assistance to them as well.  It can be a win-win
situation if you are willing to do your part.
However, most of the time, none of these people will
simply step up and help you.  You need to ask, and be
humble about it.  Do not expect help, but try to build
relationships.  It will help you find jobs now, in the
future, and will be an asset if there are problems in
your career down the road.

Lastly, do not expect to have the job of your dreams
immediately.  Sometimes taking a not quite perfect job
will lead you to the job that you have in mind in the
future, and you will be better prepared for that dream
job. I was extremely disillusioned about not receiving
an offer for my dream job when I finished my masters.
I was cranky and mad about the job I did choose-- I
have eight years experience, internships, good
grades!-- and can think of two museum studies
professors who are probably pretty happy that I have
not kept very good contact because of this. Not a good
attitude to have, and I regret it now.  When it came
down to it, chosing a position that will be benificial
in the long run is just as good, and perhaps better
than having your dream job immediately. It is good to
have a job that may force you to grow towards your
goal as well as in different directions. In my
situation, my position has given me wonderful
experience making me more marketable, I work with good
people, am gaining connections, and I work with the
person who got my "dream job".  When he is busy, I
take on some of his extra work.  Yes, it is more work,
but because of the opportunities that I have with the
job I chose, I am learning a great deal. The next job
is more likely to be that dream job and I will be much
better prepared for it.  Sometimes it is better to be
open, flexible, and patient.

I hope some of this has been of assistance.

Jacqueline Frank, Neville Public Museum of Brown
County

Green Bay, WI